Medicare Part B

Resources > Medicare Part B

Outpatient and other doctor services

Medicare Part B covers various outpatient medical services and other doctor services. Part B is a voluntary program and Medicare-eligible individuals must enroll in Medicare Part B in order to receive the programs benefits.

Medicare Part B covered services are reimbursed at 80% of the “reasonable charge” for the service. The individual receiving the service is responsible for paying the remaining 20%. However, this reasonable charge is determined by Medicare and may not adequately reflect the costs you pay to your physician.

When a doctor agrees to accept the Medicare-set “reasonable charge” as full payment, he or she is said to accept “assignment.” When a doctor does not accept “assignment,” the patient is responsible for paying the outstanding balance minus the Medicare-determined reimbursement. However, federal law sets a limit as to the maximum amount a doctor may bill for a service.

The maximum amount to be billed for a Medicare Part B covered service is 115% of the Medicare “reasonable charge.” If the doctor bills above this cap, he or she violates federal law.

Medicare Part B covers:

  • Diagnostic tests/lab work/screenings
  • Doctor services
  • Nursing services
  • Chemotherapy
  • Certain diabetic supplies
  • Flu and pneumonia vaccinations
  • Durable medical equipment
  • Some mammography and pap smear screening

Medicare Part B excludes:

  • Prescription drugs (that are not administered by a physician)
  • Hearing aids
  • Eye exams and eye glasses
  • Routine physical screenings

Medicare Part B premiums for 2017:

The monthly premium for Medicare Part B can change annually. It is common for enrollees to have their Part B premium deducted from their Social Security check.

 

If your yearly income in 2015 (for what you pay in 2017) was: You pay:
File individual tax return File joint tax return
$85,000 or less $170,000 or less $134.00
$85,000 to $107,000 $170,000 to $214,000 $187.50
$107,000 to $160,000 $214,000 to $320,000 $267.90
$160,000 to $214,000 $320,000 to $428,000 $348.30
$214,000 above $428,000 $428.60

 

Get more information about your Plan B premium from Social Security.